singular, singular form(adj)
the form of a word that is used to denote a singleton
unusual or striking
curious, funny, odd, peculiar, queer, rum, rummy, singular(adj)
beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
unmatched, remarkable, left(p), unpaired, suspect, risible, rum, peculiar, amusing, odd, mirthful, unique, rummy, laughable, comic, uneven, curious, unexpended, peculiar(a), homophile(a), funny, leftover, gay, remaining, fishy, particular(a), unmated, left over(p), singular, suspicious, special(a), shady, comical
being a single and separate person or thing
composed of one member, set, or kind
grammatical number category referring to a single item or unit
the single one of its kind
singular(adjective)Being only one of a larger population.
singular(adjective)Being the only one of the kind; unique.
singular(adjective)Distinguished by superiority, coming across as such.
singular(adjective)Being out of the ordinary, coming across as such.
singular(adjective)Referring to only one thing or person.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Odd is unmated, as an odd shoe, and so uneven, as an odd number. Singular is alone of its kind; as, the singular number. What is singular is odd, but what is odd may not be singular; as, a drawerful of odd gloves. A strange thing is something hitherto unknown in fact or in cause. A singular coincidence is one the happening of which is unusual; a strange coincidence is one the cause of which is hard to explain. That which is peculiar belongs especially to a person as his own; as, Israel was called Jehovah's "peculiar people," i. e., especially chosen and cherished by him; in its ordinary use there is the implication that the thing peculiar to one is not common to the majority nor quite approved by them, though it may be shared by many; as, the Shakers are peculiar. Eccentric is off or aside from the center, and so off or aside from the ordinary and what is considered the normal course; as, genius is commonly eccentric. Eccentric is a higher and more respectful word than odd or queer. Erratic signifies wandering, a stronger and more censorious term than eccentric. Queer is transverse or oblique, aside from the common in a way that is comical or perhaps slightly ridiculous. Quaint denotes that which is pleasingly odd and fanciful, often with something of the antique; as, the quaint architecture of medieval towns. That which is funny is calculated to provoke laughter; that which is droll is more quietly amusing. That which is grotesque in the material sense is irregular or misshapen in form or outline or ill-proportioned so as to be somewhat ridiculous; the French bizarre is practically equivalent to grotesque.
anomalous, bizarre, comical, crotchety, curious, droll, eccentric, erratic, extraordinary, fantastic, funny, grotesque, laughable, ludicrous, odd, peculiar, preposterous, quaint, queer, ridiculous, strange, uncommon, unique, unmatched, unusual, whimsical
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for singular
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- صيغة المفرد, مفردArabic
- singular, únicCatalan, Valencian
- jednotné čísloCzech
- singulär, Einzahl, einzigartig, einzeln, ungewöhnlichGerman
- singular, únicoSpanish
- mittepööratav, ainsusEstonian
- yksiköllinen, kummallinen, omituinen, merkillinen, erinomainen, uniikki, ainutlaatuinen, singulaarinen, harvinainen, tavaton, yksittäinen, yksikköFinnish
- ientalWestern Frisian
- եզակի, եզակի թիվArmenian
- eintala, et.Icelandic
- 風変わり, 単数形, 奇妙, 希有, 非凡, 単一, 無二, 単称, 単数の, 唯一Japanese
- ганц тооMongolian
- enig, ongewoon, opmerkelijke, opmerkelijk, uitzonderlijk, enige, enkelvoudige, enkelvoudig, enkelvoudDutch
- enkelt, einstaka, einskildNorwegian Nynorsk
- łah jidiltʼéhígo, tʼááłáʼígoNavajo, Navaho
- osobliwy, osobliwa, nieodwracalna, liczba pojedynczaPolish
- único, simples, singularPortuguese
- единственное число, единственныйRussian
- необичан, osobit, jedini, једини, поједини, neobičan, pojedini, особит, jednina, једнинаSerbo-Croatian
- jednotné číslo, singulárSlovak
- njëjës, numri njëjësAlbanian
- säregen, egendomlig, singular, unik, ensam, enstaka, besynnerlig, utmärkt, enastående, singularis, entalSwedish
- balnum, balnumikVolapük
Get even more translations for singular »
Find a translation for the singular synonym in other languages:
Select another language: