a fact that has been verified
truth, the true, verity, trueness(noun)
conformity to reality or actuality
truth, true statement(noun)
a true statement
the quality of being near to the true value
Truth, Sojourner Truth(noun)
United States abolitionist and feminist who was freed from slavery and became a leading advocate of the abolition of slavery and for the rights of women (1797-1883)
truth(noun)To assert as true; to declare.
truth(noun)A pledge of loyalty or faith.
truth(noun)Conformity to fact or reality; correctness, accuracy.
truth(noun)True facts, genuine depiction or statements of reality.
truth(noun)That which is real, in a deeper sense; spiritual or \u2018genuine\u2019 reality.
truth(noun)Something acknowledged to be true; a true statement or axiom.
truth(noun)A now-outdated term for topness. (See also truth quark.)
English Synonyms and Antonyms
In its governmental relations, human or divine, justice is the giving to every person exactly what he deserves, not necessarily involving any consideration of what any other may deserve; equity (the quality of being equal) is giving every one as much advantage, privilege, or consideration as is given to any other; it is that which is equally right or just to all concerned; equity is equal justice and is thus a close synonym for fairness and impartiality, but it has a philosophical and legal precision that those words have not. In legal proceedings cases arise for which the law has not adequately provided, or in which general provisions, just in the main, would work individual hardship. The system of equity, devised to supply the insufficiencies of law, deals with cases "to which the law by reason of its universality can not apply." "Equity, then, ... is the soul and spirit of all law; positive law is construed and rational law is made by it."
Blackstonebk. iii, ch. 27, p. 429. In personal and social relations justice is the rendering to every one what is due or merited, whether in act, word, or thought; in matters of reasoning, or literary work of any kind, justice is close, faithful, unprejudiced, and unbiased adherence to essential truth or fact; we speak of the justice of a statement, or of doing justice to a subject. Integrity, rectitude, right, righteousness and virtue denote conformity of personal conduct to the moral law, and thus necessarily include justice, which is giving others that which is their due. Lawfulness is an ambiguous word, meaning in its narrower sense mere legality, which may be very far from justice, but in its higher sense signifying accordance with the supreme law of right, and thus including perfect justice. Justness refers rather to logical relations than to practical matters; as, we speak of the justness of a statement or of a criticism. See JUDGE, n.
The justice of the king; to or for the oppressed.
you don't lie when speaking the truth
Dictionary of English Synonymes
conformity to fact or reality
Translations for truth
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حَقِيقَة, حقيقةArabic
- вернасць, праўда, ісцінаBelarusian
- истина, вярностBulgarian
- veritatCatalan, Valencian
- věrnost, pravda, skutečnostCzech
- Treue, WahrheitGerman
- vero, verecoEsperanto
- totuus, todellisuus, uskollisuusFinnish
- verdad, véritéFrench
- wierheidWestern Frisian
- fìrinnScottish Gaelic
- सचाई, सचHindi
- igazságosság, igazságHungarian
- հավատարմություն, ճշմարտությունArmenian
- sannleikur, sannindiIcelandic
- veritate, veritàItalian
- まこと, 誠, 真実, しんじつ, 本当, 真相, ほんとう, 真理, じったい, 事実, じじつ, しんそう, 実態Japanese
- 진실, 眞實, 진리, 真理Korean
- veritas, Verum,Latin
- WourechtLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- खरे, खरंMarathi
- waarheid, echtheid, werkelijkheid, oprechtheid, eerlijkheid, eedDutch
- vertat, veritatOccitan
- prawda, wiernośćPolish
- juramento, verdade, verdades, realidadePortuguese
- vardad, vardà, verdad, vardetRomansh
- veridicitate, adevăr, corectitudine, bună credință, sinceritateRomanian
- правда, истина, верностьRussian
- सत्यता, सत्य, तथ्यSanskrit
- odanost, истина, istinaSerbo-Croatian
- pravda, vernostSlovak
- zvestoba, resnicaSlovene
- trohet, sanning, sanningshalt, verklighet, tro, troskapSwedish
- నమ్మకము, నిరూజణ, వాస్తవ సంఘటన, విశ్వాసము, సహజము, వాస్తవముTelugu
- hakikat, gerçekTurkish
- правда, істина, вірністьUkrainian
- سچ, سچائی, حقیقتUrdu
- chân lý, 真理, sự thậtVietnamese
- fied, verat, veratodVolapük
Get even more translations for truth »
Find a translation for the truth synonym in other languages:
Select another language: