conflict, struggle, battle(noun)
an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals)
"the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph"--Thomas Paine; "police tried to control the battle between the pro- and anti-abortion mobs"
opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible feelings
"he was immobilized by conflict and indecision"
battle, conflict, fight, engagement(noun)
a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
"Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
conflict, fight, competitiveness, troth, engagement, fighting, booking, difference, struggle, mesh, interlocking, betrothal, battle, involution, difference of opinion, participation, employment, dispute, scrap, appointment, meshing, involvement, combat, date
a state of opposition between persons or ideas or interests
"his conflict of interest made him ineligible for the post"; "a conflict of loyalties"
an incompatibility of dates or events
"he noticed a conflict in the dates of the two meetings"
opposition in a work of drama or fiction between characters or forces (especially an opposition that motivates the development of the plot)
"this form of conflict is essential to Mann's writing"
dispute, difference, difference of opinion, conflict(verb)
a disagreement or argument about something important
"he had a dispute with his wife"; "there were irreconcilable differences"; "the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats"
be in conflict
"The two proposals conflict!"
conflict, run afoul, infringe, contravene(verb)
go against, as of rules and laws
"He ran afoul of the law"; "This behavior conflicts with our rules"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Conflict is a general word which describes opponents, whether individuals or hosts, as dashed together. One continuous conflict between entire armies is a battle. Another battle may be fought upon the same field after a considerable interval; or a new battle may follow immediately, the armies meeting upon a new field. An action is brief and partial; a battle may last for days. Engagement is a somewhat formal expression for battle; as, it was the commander's purpose to avoid a general engagement. A protracted war, including many battles, may be a stubborn contest. Combat, originally a hostile encounter between individuals, is now used also for extensive engagements. A skirmish is between small detachments or scattered troops. An encounter may be either purposed or accidental, between individuals or armed forces. Fight is a word of less dignity than battle; we should not ordinarily speak of Waterloo as a fight, unless where the word is used in the sense of fighting; as, I was in the thick of the fight.
A battle of giants; battle between armies; a battle for life, against invaders; a battle to the death; the battle of (more rarely at) Marathon.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for Conflict
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- صراع, نزاعArabic
- münaqişə, konfliktAzerbaijani
- сблъсквам се, противоречие, противореча, несъвместим съм, несъвместимост, стълкновение, конфликтBulgarian
- conflicteCatalan, Valencian
- střet, konfliktCzech
- konflikt, overlappe, være i modstrid medDanish
- Konflikt, Streit, InkompatibilitätGerman
- σύγκρουση, σύρραξηGreek
- coincidir, discrepancia, conflictoSpanish
- تضاد, ناسازگاری, درگیریPersian
- ristiriita, törmätä, konflikti, olla ristiriidassaFinnish
- conflit, incompatibilitéFrench
- còmhragScottish Gaelic
- התנגש, חוסר התאמה, התנגשות, סכסוךHebrew
- incompatibilità, conflittoItalian
- 対立する, 衝突する, 合わない, 衝突, バッティングする, 紛争Japanese
- 충돌, 衝突, Korean
- strijdig, geschil, tegenstrijdigheid, met, conflict, onverenigbaarheid, conflicteren, confligeren, zijn, strijd, overlappenDutch
- konfliktNorwegian Nynorsk
- walka, konfliktPolish
- coincidir, conflito, conflitarPortuguese
- ceartă, conflictRomanian
- конфликтовать, конфликт, столкновениеRussian
- сукоб, sukob, конфликт, konfliktSerbo-Croatian
- stret, konfliktSlovak
- konflikt, spor, nasprotovanje, nasprotovatiSlovene
- anlaşmazlık, çatışma, fikir ayrılığıTurkish
- 衝突, xung độtVietnamese
Get even more translations for Conflict »
Find a translation for the Conflict synonym in other languages:
Select another language: