adjacent, next, side by side(p)(adj)
nearest in space or position; immediately adjoining without intervening space
"had adjacent rooms"; "in the next room"; "the person sitting next to me"; "our rooms were side by side"
adjacent, conterminous, contiguous, neighboring(a)(adj)
having a common boundary or edge; abutting; touching
"Rhode Island has two bordering states; Massachusetts and Conncecticut"; "the side of Germany conterminous with France"; "Utah and the contiguous state of Idaho"; "neighboring cities"
near or close to but not necessarily touching
"lands adjacent to the mountains"; "New York and adjacent cities"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Adjacent farms may not be connected; if adjoining, they meet at the boundary-line. Conterminous would imply that their dimensions were exactly equal on the side where they adjoin. Contiguous may be used for either adjacent or adjoining. Abutting refers rather to the end of one building or estate than to the neighborhood of another. Buildings may be adjacent or adjoining that are not attached. Near is a relative word, places being called near upon the railroad which would elsewhere be deemed remote. Neighboring always implies such proximity that the inhabitants may be neighbors. Next views some object as the nearest of several or many; next neighbor implies a neighborhood.
The farm was adjacent to the village.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for adjacent
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- съседен, близък, допиращ сеBulgarian
- লাগোয়া, সংলগ্ন, সন্নিহিতBengali
- adjacentCatalan, Valencian
- darauffolgend, anliegend, daneben, nachfolgend, umliegend, benachbartGerman
- contiguo, colindante, adyacenteSpanish
- همسایه, مجاورPersian
- dlùthScottish Gaelic
- सटा हुआHindi
- tegenoverstaand, aanpalend, er naast liggend, belendend, aangrenzendDutch
- foregående, ved siden av, neste, påfølgende, følgende, nabo-, motsatt, etterfølgende, forutgåendeNorwegian
- przylegający, przyległy, sąsiadującyPolish
- примыкающий, прилегающий, соседнийRussian
- liền kềVietnamese
Get even more translations for adjacent »
Find a translation for the adjacent synonym in other languages:
Select another language: