adolescent, stripling, teenager, teen(adj)
a juvenile between the onset of puberty and maturity
relating to or peculiar to or suggestive of an adolescent
adolescent, teen, teenage, teenaged(adj)
being of the age 13 through 19
"teenage mothers"; "the teen years"
adolescent, jejune, juvenile, puerile(adj)
displaying or suggesting a lack of maturity
"adolescent insecurity"; "jejune responses to our problems"; "their behavior was juvenile"; "puerile jokes"
in the state of development between puberty and maturity
"adolescent boys and girls"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Boyish, childish, and girlish are used in a good sense of those to whom they properly belong, but in a bad sense of those from whom more maturity is to be expected; childish eagerness or glee is pleasing in a child, but unbecoming in a man; puerile in modern use is distinctly contemptuous. Juvenile and youthful are commonly used in a favorable and kindly sense in their application to those still young; youthful in the sense of having the characteristics of youth, hence fresh, vigorous, light-hearted, buoyant, may have a favorable import as applied to any age, as when we say the old man still retains his youthful ardor, vigor, or hopefulness; juvenile in such use would belittle the statement. Young is distinctively applied to those in the early stage of life or not arrived at maturity. Compare NEW.
Compare synonyms for OLD.
Translations for adolescent
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- девойка, юноша, юношескиBulgarian
- adolescentCatalan, Valencian
- chico, chica, muchacha, adolescente, muchachoSpanish
- ògail, òigear, òganachScottish Gaelic
- kamasz, kamaszkoriHungarian
- 少年, 少女, 青春Japanese
- малолетничка, малолетникMacedonian
- nastolatek, nastolatka, nastoletni, dojrzewającyPolish
- rapaz, adolescente, moça, rapariga, moçoPortuguese
- adolescent, adolescentăRomanian
- подростковый, подросток, юноша, юношеский, девушкаRussian
- mladoletnik, mladoleten, mladoletnicaSlovene
- కౌమార, Telugu
Get even more translations for adolescent »
Find a translation for the adolescent synonym in other languages:
Select another language: