in the area or vicinity
"a few spectators standing about"; "hanging around"; "waited around for the next flight"
by a circular or circuitous route
"He came all the way around the base"; "the road goes around the pond"
used of movement to or among many different places or in no particular direction
"wandering about with no place to go"; "people were rushing about"; "news gets around (or about)"; "traveled around in Asia"; "he needs advice from someone who's been around"; "she sleeps around"
in a circle or circular motion
"The wheels are spinning around"
approximately, about, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, around, or so(adverb)
(of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct
"lasted approximately an hour"; "in just about a minute"; "he's about 30 years old"; "I've had about all I can stand"; "we meet about once a month"; "some forty people came"; "weighs around a hundred pounds"; "roughly $3,000"; "holds 3 gallons, more or less"; "20 or so people were at the party"
in or to a reversed position or direction
"about face"; "suddenly she turned around"
to a particular destination either specified or understood
"she came around to see me"; "I invited them around for supper"
all around or on all sides
"dirty clothes lying around (or about)"; "let's look about for help"; "There were trees growing all around"; "she looked around her"
"the trunk is ten feet around"; "the pond is two miles around"
from beginning to end; throughout
"It rains all year round on Skye"; "frigid weather the year around"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for around
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حول, بالقرب, قربArabic
- наблизо, наоколо, около, къде да е, навсякъде, от всички страниBulgarian
- passant, al voltant deCatalan, Valencian
- okolo, kolemCzech
- rundt omDanish
- περί, γύρωGreek
- alrededor de, alrededor, por, cerca de, por acá, a eso deSpanish
- دوروبَر, پیرامون, نزدیکا, نزدیکیا, دور و برPersian
- tienoilla, ympäriinsä, ympärillä, hengissä, ympärille, noin, ympäriFinnish
- autour, versFrench
- mu thimcheall, timcheall, mun cuairt, mu chuairtScottish Gaelic
- के आस-पास, चारों ओरHindi
- otouHaitian Creole
- verso, intorno a, vicino, attorno, intorno, in giroItalian
- circum, circaLatin
- насекаде, близу, во близина, наоколу, околу, овде-ондеMacedonian
- omheen, om, rondom, langs, rond, in de omgeving vanDutch
- dookoła, wokół, na okołoPolish
- perto de, em torno de, por aqui, por volta de, por aíPortuguese
- în jurul, ici-colo, aproape de, împrejurul, peste totRomanian
- вокруг, всюду, поблизости, вблизи, околоRussian
- omkring, kring, runtSwedish
- کے ارد گردUrdu
- xung quanhVietnamese
Get even more translations for around »
Find a translation for the around synonym in other languages:
Select another language: