remark, comment, input(noun)
a statement that expresses a personal opinion or belief or adds information
"from time to time she contributed a personal comment on his account"
a written explanation or criticism or illustration that is added to a book or other textual material
"he wrote an extended comment on the proposal"
gossip, comment, scuttlebutt(verb)
a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people
"the divorce caused much gossip"
gab, comment, remark, tittle-tattle, rumormonger, chin-wagging, input, chin wagging, small talk, chin wag, commentary, chin-wag, gossipmonger, gossiper, rumourmonger, gossip, chitchat, gabfest, newsmonger, causerie, chit-chat, chit chat, scuttlebutt
comment, notice, remark, point out(verb)
make or write a comment on
"he commented the paper of his colleague"
explain or interpret something
gloss, comment, annotate(verb)
provide interlinear explanations for words or phrases
"He annotated on what his teacher had written"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A definition is exact, an explanation general; a definition is formal, a description pictorial. A definition must include all that belongs to the object defined, and exclude all that does not; a description may include only some general features; an explanation may simply throw light upon some point of special difficulty. An exposition undertakes to state more fully what is compactly given or only implied in the text; as, an exposition of Scripture. Interpretation is ordinarily from one language into another, or from the language of one period into that of another; it may also be a statement giving the doubtful or hidden meaning of that which is recondite or perplexing; as, the interpretation of a dream, a riddle, or of some difficult passage. Definition, explanation, exposition, and interpretation are ordinarily blended in a commentary, which may also include description. A comment is upon a single passage; a commentary may be the same, but is usually understood to be a volume of comments.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for comment
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- бележка, коментар, коментирамBulgarian
- comentar, comentariCatalan, Valencian
- komentář, komentovatCzech
- kommentere, kommentarDanish
- Kommentar, kommentieren, Kommentare einfügenGerman
- σχόλιο, σχολιάζωGreek
- comentario, comentarSpanish
- کامنت, نظرPersian
- kommentoida, huomautus, huomauttaa, kommentti, välihuomautusFinnish
- commentaire, commenterFrench
- abairtScottish Gaelic
- コメント, 論評Japanese
- becommentariëren, commentaarDutch
- kommentar, kommentereNorwegian
- zakomentować, komentować, komentarzPolish
- comentar, comentário, mencionarPortuguese
- комментировать, комментарий, закомментировать, замечание, прокомментироватьRussian
- opaska, komentar, опаска, коментарSerbo-Croatian
- kommentar, kommenteraSwedish
- yorum, açıklamaTurkish
Get even more translations for comment »
Find a translation for the comment synonym in other languages:
Select another language: