a formal and solemn declaration of objection
"they finished the game under protest to the league president"; "the senator rose to register his protest"; "the many protestations did not stay the execution"
protest, objection, dissent(noun)
the act of protesting; a public (often organized) manifestation of dissent
the act of making a strong public expression of disagreement and disapproval
"he shouted his protests at the umpire"; "a shower of protest was heard from the rear of the hall"
utter words of protest
protest, resist, dissent(verb)
express opposition through action or words
"dissent to the laws of the country"
affirm or avow formally or solemnly
"The suspect protested his innocence"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Acknowledge, admit, and declare refer either to oneself or to others; all the other words refer only to one's own knowledge or action. To avow is to declare boldly and openly, commonly as something one is ready to justify, maintain, or defend. A man acknowledges another's claim or his own promise; he admits an opponent's advantage or his own error; he declares either what he has seen or experienced or what he has received from another; he avers what he is sure of from his own knowledge or consciousness; he gives his assurance as the voucher for what he avouches; he avows openly a belief or intention that he has silently held. Avow and avouch take a direct object; aver is followed by a conjunction: a man avows his faith, avouches a deed, avers that he was present. Avow has usually a good sense; what a person avows he at least does not treat as blameworthy, criminal, or shameful; if he did, he would be said to confess it; yet there is always the suggestion that some will be ready to challenge or censure what one avows; as, the clergyman avowed his dissent from the doctrine of his church. Own applies to all things, good or bad, great or small, which one takes as his own. Compare CONFESS; STATE.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for protest
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- احتجاج, اعترضArabic
- protesta, protestarCatalan, Valencian
- protest, protestovatCzech
- Protest, demonstrieren, Demonstration, [[Einwände]] [[äußern]], [[Einspruch]] [[erheben]], protestierenGerman
- διαμαρτύρομαι, διαμαρτυρίαGreek
- protesto, protestiEsperanto
- protestar, protestaSpanish
- protestoida, vakuuttaa, mielenosoitus, vastalause, vastustaa, protestiFinnish
- protester, manifestation, protestationFrench
- tiltakozik, tiltakozás, megerősít, kijelent, hangoztatHungarian
- protestare, protestaItalian
- プロテスト, 抗議Japanese
- mautohetanga, mautoheMāori
- manifestatie, protest, protesteren, protestactieDutch
- protestar, protestoPortuguese
- протест, протестовать, уверять, [[клятвенный, [[торжественныйRussian
- протест, protestirati, протестовати, prosvjedovati, protestovati, prosvedovatiSerbo-Croatian
- protestirati, protest, ugovarjati, ugovorSlovene
- protest, försäkra, inlägga, gensaga, bedyra, protesteraSwedish
- నిరసన ప్రదర్శన, నిరసన, నిరసించుTelugu
Get even more translations for protest »
Find a translation for the protest synonym in other languages:
Select another language: