any word or group of words functioning as a noun
having a firm basis in reality and being therefore important, meaningful, or considerable
defining rights and duties as opposed to giving the rules by which rights and duties are established
being on topic and prompting thought
"a meaty discussion"
substantive(adjective)Of the essence or essential element of a thing; as, substantive information.
substantive(adjective)Having substance and prompting thought.
substantive(adjective)Applying to essential legal principles and rules of right; as, substantive law.
substantive(adjective)Of a dye that does not need the use of a mordant to be made fast to that which is being dyed.
Translations for substantive
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- sustantivo, substantivo, sustancialSpanish
- oleellinen, substantiivi, olennainen, nimisana, aineellisenFinnish
- direct, substantifFrench
- lietvārds, substantīvsLatvian
- substantief, zelfstandig naamwoordDutch
- essencial, substancial, substantivoPortuguese
- имя существительноеRussian
Get even more translations for substantive »
Find a translation for the substantive synonym in other languages:
Select another language: