show to be right by providing justification or proof
"vindicate a claim"
maintain, uphold, or defend
"vindicate the rights of the citizens"
clear of accusation, blame, suspicion, or doubt with supporting proof
"You must vindicate yourself and fight this libel"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Avenge and revenge, once close synonyms, are now far apart in meaning. To avenge is to visit some offense with punishment, in order to vindicate the righteous, or to uphold and illustrate the right by the suffering or destruction of the wicked. "And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he avenged him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian," Acts vii, 24. To revenge is to inflict harm or suffering upon another through personal anger and resentment at something done to ourselves. Avenge is unselfish; revenge is selfish. Revenge, according to present usage, could not be said of God. To retaliate may be necessary for self-defense, without the idea of revenge. Compare REVENGE.
Avenge on or upon (rarely, avenge oneself of) a wrong-doer.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for vindicate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- rechtfertigen, verteidigen, beanspruchen, geltend machenGerman
- reclamar, vindicar, justificar, defender, reivindicarSpanish
- puhdistaa, osoittaa, puolustaa, vaatia, oikea, perustellaFinnish
- revendiquer, blanchir, justifier, défendre, réclamer, faire valoir, affirmerFrench
- verantwoorden, blaam zuiveren, rechtvaardigen, opeisen, doen gelden, vrijspreken, verdedigenDutch
- оправдать, защищатьRussian
- rättfärdiga, rentvåSwedish
Get even more translations for vindicate »
Find a translation for the vindicate synonym in other languages:
Select another language: