a possibility due to a favorable combination of circumstances
"the holiday gave us the opportunity to visit Washington"; "now is your chance"
luck, fortune, chance, hazard(noun)
an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another
"bad luck caused his downfall"; "we ran into each other by pure chance"
a risk involving danger
"you take a chance when you let her drive"
a measure of how likely it is that some event will occur; a number expressing the ratio of favorable cases to the whole number of cases possible
"the probability that an unbiased coin will fall with the head up is 0.5"
the possibility of future success
"his prospects as a writer are excellent"
occurring or appearing or singled out by chance
"seek help from casual passers-by"; "a casual meeting"; "a chance occurrence"
be the case by chance
"I chanced to meet my old friend in the street"
gamble, chance, risk, hazard, take chances, adventure, run a risk, take a chance(verb)
take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
"When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
find, happen, chance, bump, encounter(verb)
come upon, as if by accident; meet with
"We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
line up, detect, recover, kick downstairs, find oneself, befall, take chances, get, get hold, run across, gamble, demote, fall out, find, pass off, retrieve, hazard, knock, rule, notice, meet, chance, determine, see, find out, come about, come up, play, take a chance, encounter, materialize, happen, go on, receive, feel, occur, risk, pass, incur, take place, come across, bechance, observe, run into, adventure, witness, dislodge, run a risk, ascertain, relegate, bump, take on, hap, break, regain, obtain, materialise, discover
English Synonyms and Antonyms
An accident is that which happens without any one's direct intention; a chance that which happens without any known cause. If the direct cause of a railroad accident is known, we can not call it a chance. To the theist there is, in strictness, no chance, all things being by divine causation and control; but chance is spoken of where no special cause is manifest: "By chance there came down a certain priest that way," Luke x, 31. We can speak of a game of chance, but not of a game of accident. An incident is viewed as occurring in the regular course of things, but subordinate to the main purpose, or aside from the main design. Fortune is the result of inscrutable controlling forces. Fortune and chance are nearly equivalent, but chance can be used of human effort and endeavor as fortune can not be; we say "he has a chance of success," or "there is one chance in a thousand," where we could not substitute fortune; as personified, Fortune is regarded as having a fitful purpose, Chance as purposeless; we speak of fickle Fortune, blind Chance; "Fortune favors the brave." The slaughter of men is an incident of battle; unexpected defeat, the fortune of war. Since the unintended is often the undesirable, accident tends to signify some calamity or disaster, unless the contrary is expressed, as when we say a fortunate or happy accident. An adventure is that which may turn out ill, a misadventure that which does turn out ill. A slight disturbing accident is a mishap. Compare EVENT; HAZARD.
The accident of birth; an accident to the machinery.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for chance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- вероятност, възможност, рискувам, попадам на, случайностBulgarian
- oportunitatCatalan, Valencian
- šance, pravděpodobnost, příležitost, narazit, náhodaCzech
- Zufall, Chance, Wahrscheinlichkeit, Gelegenheit, MöglichkeitGerman
- ευκαιρία, συγκυρία, πιθανότητα, τύχη, ενδεχόμενο, σύμπτωση, περίστασηGreek
- hazardo, ŝancoEsperanto
- chance, oportunidad, probabilidad, posibilidad, azar, suerteSpanish
- فرصت, شانسPersian
- mahdollisuus, todennäköisyys, sattumaFinnish
- chance, risque, raccrocFrench
- faill, seansIrish
- cothromScottish Gaelic
- סיכוי, מקרהHebrew
- अवसर, सम्भावनाHindi
- eshetőség, véletlen, valószínűség, alkalom, esély, lehetőségHungarian
- դիպված, հնարավորություն, պատահականություն, հավանականությունArmenian
- probabilità, possibilità, opportunità, chanceItalian
- チャンス, 機会Japanese
- 기회, 機會Korean
- accidentia, fors, potestas, probabilitas, opportunitas, possibilitasLatin
- can, peluang, kesempatan, cerlakMalay
- gelegenheid, kans, wagen, mogelijkheid, toevalDutch
- sjanse, sannsynlighet, mulighet, tilfeldigheterNorwegian
- szansa, okazjaPolish
- chance, acaso, probabilidadePortuguese
- întâmplare, ocazie, probabilitate, șansă, risca, șanse, accidentRomanian
- случайность, шанс, вероятность, возможностьRussian
- mogućnost, šansa, шанса, могућностSerbo-Croatian
- slump, chans, råka, chansa, riskera, sannolikhetSwedish
- talih, şansTurkish
- cơ hội, 機會Vietnamese
Get even more translations for chance »
Find a translation for the chance synonym in other languages:
Select another language: