the skilled practice of a practical occupation
"he learned his trade as an apprentice"
a vehicle designed for navigation in or on water or air or through outer space
people who perform a particular kind of skilled work
"he represented the craft of brewers"; "as they say in the trade"
craft, craftsmanship, workmanship(noun)
skill in an occupation or trade
craft, craftiness, cunning, foxiness, guile, slyness, wiliness(verb)
shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deception
make by hand and with much skill
"The artisan crafted a complicated tool"
craft(noun)A particular kind of skilled work.
craft(noun)Cunning, art, skill, or dexterity applied to bad purposes; artifice; guile; subtlety; shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deception.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A contrivance or device may be either good or bad. A cheat is a mean advantage in a bargain; a fraud, any form of covert robbery or injury. Imposture is a deceitful contrivance for securing charity, credit, or consideration. A stratagem or maneuver may be of the good against the bad, as it were a skilful movement of war. A wile is usually but not necessarily evil.
E'en children followed with endearing wile.
GoldsmithDeserted Village, l. 184.
A trick is often low, injurious, and malicious; we say a mean trick; the word is sometimes used playfully with less than its full meaning. A ruse or a blind may be quite innocent and harmless. An artifice is a carefully and delicately prepared contrivance for doing indirectly what one could not well do directly. A device is something studied out for promoting an end, as in a mechanism; the word is used of indirect action, often, but not necessarily directed to an evil, selfish, or injurious end. Finesse is especially subtle contrivance, delicate artifice, whether for good or evil. Compare FRAUD.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for craft
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- професия, плавателен съд, гилдия, ловкост, занаят, еснаф, изработвам на ръка, умение, хитростBulgarian
- fet a màCatalan, Valencian
- plavidlo, řemesloCzech
- håndværker, håndlavet, konstrukere, håndværk, fartøj, byggeDanish
- Fahrzeug, Lenkfahrzeug, Geriebenheit, Handwerker, Schlauheit, Handwerk, handgemachtGerman
- fako, metio, fakuloj, ruzeco, metiistojEsperanto
- pericia, labrar, desarrollar, oficio, nave, construirSpanish
- taito, käsityötaito, juonikkuus, alus, ammattikunta, työtaitoFinnish
- ceardaíocht, ceird, árthach, soitheach, bádIrish
- արհեստ, արհեստավորArmenian
- artiġjanat, artiġjanatur, sengħaMaltese
- stielmannen, vakmanschap, vak, stiel, toestel, ambacht, gewiekstheid, voertuig, handbewerken, ambachtslui, vakluiDutch
- ofício, habilidade, construir, arte, perícia, desenvolverPortuguese
- a face de mână, construiRomanian
- мастерить, сноровка, искусство, хитрость, изготавливать вручную, проявлять мастерство, ремесло, умениеRussian
- занатство, zànāt, ручно направљено, занатлијка, zanatlija, за̀на̄т, preprèdenōst, zanátstvo, занатлија, ručno napravljeno, zanatlijka, препрѐдено̄стSerbo-Croatian
- farkost, hantverkSwedish
Get even more translations for craft »
Find a translation for the craft synonym in other languages:
Select another language: