fine, mulct, amercement(adj)
money extracted as a penalty
gritty, imprecise, farinaceous, coarse, granular, impure, thick, harsh, plush-like, loose, plushy, coarse-grained, granulated, granulose, large-grained, inelegant, grainy, mealy, unsatisfactory, open
all right, fine, o.k., ok, okay, hunky-dory(adj)
being satisfactory or in satisfactory condition
"an all-right movie"; "the passengers were shaken up but are all right"; "is everything all right?"; "everything's fine"; "things are okay"; "dinner and the movies had been fine"; "another minute I'd have been fine"
farinaceous, thick, coarse-grained, gritty, granular, plushy, unsatisfactory, mealy, imprecise, granulose, granulated, impure, harsh, inelegant, coarse, loose, plush-like, large-grained, open, grainy
minutely precise especially in differences in meaning
"a fine distinction"
loose, plush-like, grainy, mealy, harsh, granulose, coarse, inelegant, coarse-grained, open, thick, plushy, gritty, granulated, large-grained, imprecise, unsatisfactory, granular, impure, farinaceous
thin in thickness or diameter
"a fine film of oil"; "fine hairs"; "read the fine print"
large-grained, unsatisfactory, loose, coarse-grained, impure, granulated, imprecise, gritty, farinaceous, mealy, plush-like, granulose, open, inelegant, grainy, thick, harsh, plushy, coarse, granular
characterized by elegance or refinement or accomplishment
"fine wine"; "looking fine in her Easter suit"; "a fine gentleman"; "fine china and crystal"; "a fine violinist"; "the fine hand of a master"
loose, gritty, harsh, coarse-grained, large-grained, plush-like, thick, plushy, open, granular, impure, unsatisfactory, inelegant, coarse, imprecise, farinaceous, mealy, grainy, granulose, granulated
of textures that are smooth to the touch or substances consisting of relatively small particles
"wood with a fine grain"; "fine powdery snow"; "fine rain"; "batiste is a cotton fabric with a fine weave"; "covered with a fine film of dust"
farinaceous, coarse-grained, plushy, granulose, harsh, granular, inelegant, loose, impure, imprecise, mealy, plush-like, gritty, grainy, thick, large-grained, coarse, open, granulated, unsatisfactory
free from impurities; having a high or specified degree of purity
"gold 21 carats fine"
thick, plush-like, harsh, farinaceous, impure, mealy, granulated, unsatisfactory, granular, large-grained, coarse-grained, imprecise, loose, grainy, coarse, open, plushy, inelegant, granulose, gritty
issue a ticket or a fine to as a penalty
"I was fined for parking on the wrong side of the street"; "Move your car or else you will be ticketed!"
open, imprecise, impure, harsh, granulose, coarse-grained, coarse, large-grained, unsatisfactory, plush-like, grainy, plushy, gritty, mealy, thick, farinaceous, granular, granulated, inelegant, loose
very well, fine, alright, all right, OK(adverb)
an expression of agreement normally occurring at the beginning of a sentence
large-grained, plushy, coarse-grained, gritty, grainy, granular, harsh, impure, plush-like, coarse, loose, inelegant, thick, unsatisfactory, farinaceous, mealy, granulated, imprecise, granulose, open
finely, fine, delicately, exquisitely(adverb)
in a delicate manner
"finely shaped features"; "her fine drawn body"
inelegant, loose, unsatisfactory, farinaceous, open, thick, mealy, coarse-grained, granular, plush-like, granulated, harsh, coarse, impure, gritty, large-grained, imprecise, grainy, granulose, plushy
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Fine (Latin finis, end) denotes that which has been brought to a full end, finished. From this root-sense many derived meanings branch out, causing words quite remote from each other to be alike synonyms of fine. That which is truly finished, brought to an ideal end, is excellent of its kind, and beautiful, if a thing that admits of beauty; as, a fine house, fine trees, a fine woman, a fine morning; if a thing that admits of the removal of impurities, it is not finished till these are removed, and hence fine signifies clarified, clear, pure, refined; as, fine gold. That which is finished is apt to be polished, smooth to the touch, minutely exact in outline; hence fine comes to be a synonym for all words like dainty, delicate, exquisite; as, fine manners, a fine touch, fine perceptions. As that which is delicate is apt to be small, by an easy extension of meaning fine becomes a synonym for slender, slight, minute, comminuted; as, a fine thread, fine sand; or for filmy, tenuous, thin; as, a fine lace, fine wire; and as a thin edge is keen, sharp, fine becomes also a synonym for these words; as, a fine point, a fine edge. Compare BEAUTIFUL; MINUTE.
beautiful, clarified, clear, comminuted, dainty, delicate, elegant, excellent, exquisite, gauzy, handsome, keen, minute, nice, polished, pure, refined, sensitive, sharp, slender, slight, small, smooth, splendid, subtile, subtle, tenuous, thin
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
good, beautiful, well, fines, okay, excellent, perfect, nice, penalty, bellas, ﬁne, fina, ok, end, right, alright, purposes, wonderful, fine-sounding, splendid, thin, lovely, pretty, belle, great, bella, handsome, fined, amends
Fucked up , insecure, neurotic & emotional
Translations for fine
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- изящен, добре, пречиствам, глобявам, филтрирам, ясно, фин, избистрям се, хубаво, рафинирам, пречиствам се, ситен, висококачествен, добър, тънък, глобаBulgarian
- filtern, gut, genügend, passabel, Geldbuße, heiß, herrlich, filigran, Geldstrafe, sieben, sexy, Bußgeld, fein, akzeptabel, klären, [[mit]] [[einer]] [[Geldstrafe]] [[belegen]]German
- [[επιβάλλω]] [[πρόστιμο]], εκλεκτός, [[χρηματικός, εντάξει, καλά, λεπτός, εξαιρετικός, αίθριος, πρόστιμοGreek
- bueno, multar, fino, bien, multa, apuestoSpanish
- hienontua, jalostaa, kaunis, kirkastua, jalostua, hienostua, oivallinen, hienontaa, puhdistua, kirkastaa, puhdistaa, sakko, hieno, sakottaaFinnish
- fin, fine, beau, amende, bien, belleFrench
- breá, mínIrish
- cìs, càinScottish Gaelic
- משובח, קנס, לקנוסHebrew
- բարձրակարգ, մանր, բարձրորակArmenian
- multa, bene, bella, bello, multare, fineItalian
- BoussLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- prachtig, boete, fijn, uitstekend, beboeten, goedDutch
- fint, bot, fin, ilegge bot, pen, bra, flott, bøteleggeNorwegian
- bom, bonito, fino, multa, multarPortuguese
- отличный, утончённый, тонкий, хороший, прекра́сный, пеня, изя́щный, превосходный, прекрасно, хорошо́, краси́вый, взыска́ние, сухой, штраф, ми́лый, то́нкий, штрафовать, отлично, мелкий, худо́й, великолепный, ясныйRussian
- OK, fin, prydlig, vacker, liten, bra, stilig, framstående, bot, skicklig, fint, späd, härlig, grann, nätt, präktig, utsökt, smal, fintrådig, ståtlig, finkornig, bötfälla, utmärktSwedish
- пеня, штрафUkrainian
Get even more translations for fine »
Find a translation for the fine synonym in other languages:
Select another language: