a transient variation in voltage or current
sports equipment consisting of a sharp point on the sole of a shoe worn by athletes
"spikes provide greater traction"
ear, spike, capitulum(noun)
fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially corn
(botany) an indeterminate inflorescence bearing sessile flowers on an unbranched axis
a sharp rise followed by a sharp decline
"the seismograph showed a sharp spike in response to the temblor"
spike heel, spike, stiletto heel(noun)
a very high narrow heel on women's shoes
each of the sharp points on the soles of athletic shoes to prevent slipping (or the shoes themselves)
"the second baseman sharpened his spikes before every game"; "golfers' spikes damage the putting greens"
a sharp-pointed projection along the top of a fence or wall (or a dinosaur)
a long, thin sharp-pointed implement (wood or metal)
"one of the spikes impaled him"
any holding device consisting of a rigid, sharp-pointed object
"the spike pierced the receipts and held them in order"
a large stout nail
"they used spikes to fasten the rails to a railroad tie"
stand in the way of
transfix, impale, empale, spike(verb)
pierce with a sharp stake or point
"impale a shrimp on a skewer"
secure with spikes
spike, spike out(verb)
bring forth a spike or spikes
"my hyacinths and orchids are spiking now"
spike, lace, fortify(verb)
add alcohol to (beverages)
"the punch is spiked!"
manifest a sharp increase
"the voltage spiked"
spike(noun)To covertly put alcohol or another intoxicating substance in a drink that previously did not contain such substances.
spike(noun)To add a small amount of one substance to another.
spike(noun)To attack from, usually, above the height of the net with the intent to send the ball straight to the floor of the opponent or off the hands of the opposing block.
spike(noun)To render (a gun) unusable by driving a metal spike into its touch hole.
spike(verb)To decide not to publish or make public.
Translations for SPIKE
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- urpa, espigaCatalan, Valencian
- aks, spiger, nagle, spids, top, pig, pigskoDanish
- Nagel, Spitze, Stachel, Ähre, GetreideähreGerman
- clavo, pincho, espiga, punta, picoSpanish
- piikki, tähkäFinnish
- crampons, épiFrench
- chiodo, punta, amento, spiga, picco, schiacciata, lancia, arpione, scarpa chiodata, cerbiattoItalian
- 牡鹿, 針, スパイク靴, 穂, 穂状花序, スパイクJapanese
- espinho, espigaPortuguese
- spia, speia, spigiaRomansh
- țăruș, piron, spicRomanian
- костыль, нагель, штырь, шиповки, шпиль, скачок, остриё, атакующий удар, колос, нападающий удар, клин, шип, атакa, удар, ударить, атаковать, нападатьRussian
- ispica, ipiga, ispiga, spigaSardinian
- mũi nhọnVietnamese
Get even more translations for SPIKE »
Find a translation for the SPIKE synonym in other languages:
Select another language: