Synonyms for matterˈmæt ər
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms and similiar words for the term matter
matter, affair, thing(noun)
a vaguely specified concern
topic, subject, issue, matter(noun)
some situation or event that is thought about
topic, effect, progeny, matter, field of study, issuing, case, government issue, issuance, takings, theme, consequence, take, thing, subject area, result, study, event, upshot, return, subject, bailiwick, offspring, military issue, depicted object, egress, outlet, subject field, exit, national, discipline, number, yield, emergence, outcome, way out, affair, issue, payoff, field, proceeds, publication, content, guinea pig
that which has mass and occupies space
(used with negation) having consequence
written works (especially in books or magazines)
count, matter, weigh(verb)
have weight; have import, carry weight
matter(noun)To be important.
matter(noun)To care about, to mind; to find important.
matter(noun)A kind of substance.
matter(noun)A condition, subject or affair, especially one of concern.
matter(noun)An approximate amount or extent.
matter(noun)Written material (especially in books or magazines)
matter(noun)Aristotelian: undeveloped potentiality subject to change and development; formlessness. Matter receives form, and becomes substance.
English Synonyms and Antonyms, by James Champlin Fernald
A topic (Greek topos, place) is a head of discourse. Since a topic for discussion is often stated in the form of a question, question has come to be extensively used to denote a debatable topic, especially of a practical nature — an issue; as, the labor question; the temperance question. In deliberative assemblies a proposition presented or moved for acceptance is called a motion, and such a motion or other matter for consideration is known as the question, since it is or may be stated in interrogative form to be answered by each member with a vote of "aye" or "no;" a member is required to speak to the question; the chairman puts the question. In speaking or writing the general subject or theme may be termed the topic, tho it is more usual to apply the latter term to the subordinate divisions, points, or heads of discourse; as, to enlarge on this topic would carry me too far from my subject; a pleasant drive will suggest many topics for conversation.
Translations for matter
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مادة, أمر, جسمArabic
- hmota, látka, důvod, záležetCzech
- Anlass, Substanz, Stoff, Materie, Angelegenheit, MasseGerman
- materia, asunto, importarSpanish
- tilanne, aihe, aine, pulma, materia, ongelma, hätä, merkitä, olla merkitystä, haitataFinnish
- matière, affaire, importerFrench
- saak, matearjeWestern Frisian
- ábhar, misteIrish
- חומר, עילה, נושאHebrew
- बात, मामलाHindi
- ügy, dolog, anyagHungarian
- materia, problema, argomento, questione, faccenda, causa, importare, contareItalian
- 物質, 事Japanese
- 물질, 物質Korean
- fabula, pertineo ad, pertineoLatin
- stof, materie, er toe doen, belangrijk zijnDutch
- materia, sprawaPolish
- causa, matéria, motivo, problema, situação, razão, importarPortuguese
- subiect, substanță, materie, fond, problemă, material, chestiune, cauzăRomanian
- вопрос, материя, дело, вещество, повод, материал, иметь, значениеRussian
- materija, pitanje, tvar, biti bitno, imati značenje, imati važnostSerbo-Croatian
- materia, stoff, angelägenhet, fråga, ärende, spela rollSwedish
- معاملہ, باتUrdu
- vật chất, 物質Vietnamese
- indaba, udabaZulu
Get even more translations for matter »
Find a translation for the matter synonym in other languages:
Select another language: