jeer, jeering, mockery, scoff, scoffing(verb)
showing your contempt by derision
jeer, scoff, flout, barrack, gibe(verb)
laugh at with contempt and derision
treat with contemptuous disregard
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A sneer may be simply a contemptuous facial contortion, or it may be some brief satirical utterance that throws a contemptuous side-light on what it attacks without attempting to prove or disprove; a depreciatory implication may be given in a sneer such as could only be answered by elaborate argument or proof, which would seem to give the attack undue importance:
Who can refute a sneer?
PaleyMoral Philosophy bk. v, ch. ix.
A fling is careless and commonly pettish; a taunt is intentionally insulting and provoking; the sneer is supercilious; the taunt is defiant. The jeer and gibe are uttered; the gibe is bitter, and often sly or covert; the jeer is rude and open. A scoff may be in act or word, and is commonly directed against that which claims honor, reverence, or worship. Compare BANTER.
Only an essentially vicious mind is capable of a sneer at virtue.
Translations for scoff
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- spotten, verschlingen, spötteln, SpottGerman
- ilkkua, pilkka, iva, pilkata, ivataFinnish
- gera gys, hæða, draga dárIcelandic
- derisione, cibaria, verso, fare il verso, cibarsi, scherno, mangiare, deridere, ingozzarsi, schernire, nutrirsiItalian
- taunu, kai hāporo, tāwai, kaihorohoro, hāupaupaMāori
- eten, spotten, schrokkenDutch
- насмешка, насмехаться, уплетать, осмеивать, лопатьRussian
Get even more translations for scoff »
Find a translation for the scoff synonym in other languages:
Select another language: