a person who joins with others in some activity or endeavor
"he had to consult his associate before continuing"
companion, comrade, fellow, familiar, associate(noun)
a friend who is frequently in the company of another
"drinking companions"; "comrades in arms"
brother, dude, boyfriend, feller, mate, lad, bloke, associate degree, beau, young man, blighter, familiar, gent, confrere, colleague, swain, cuss, fella, fellow traveller, familiar spirit, chap, comrade, fellow, associate, buster, companion, fellow traveler
a person with subordinate membership in a society, institution, or commercial enterprise
"associates in the law firm bill at a lower rate than do partners"
any event that usually accompanies or is closely connected with another
"first was the lightning and then its thunderous associate"
associate degree, associate(adj)
a degree granted by a two-year college on successful completion of the undergraduates course of studies
having partial rights and privileges or subordinate status
"an associate member"; "an associate professor"
associate, tie in, relate, link, colligate, link up, connect(verb)
make a logical or causal connection
"I cannot connect these two pieces of evidence in my mind"; "colligate these facts"; "I cannot relate these events at all"
plug in, assort, connect, unite, consociate, touch, get in touch, consort, have-to doe with, subsume, tie, link up, touch on, affiliate, bear on, join, come to, relate, link, colligate, yoke, interrelate, pertain, associate, refer, tie in, touch base, concern, plug into
consort, associate, affiliate, assort(verb)
keep company with; hang out with
"He associates with strange people"; "She affiliates with her colleagues"
assort, harmonize, run, consociate, accord, classify, consort, connect, fit in, link up, agree, affiliate, sort out, concord, relate, link, colligate, class, sort, associate, separate, tie in, harmonise
bring or come into association or action
"The churches consociated to fight their dissolution"
associate(noun)An associate's degree.
associate(noun)Having partial status or privileges.
associate(noun)Following or accompanying; concomitant.
associate(verb)To connect or join together; combine.
associate(verb)To connect in the mind or imagination
English Synonyms and Antonyms
An associate as used officially implies a chief, leader, or principal, to whom the associate is not fully equal in rank. Associate is popularly used of mere friendly relations, but oftener implies some work, enterprise, or pursuit in which the associated persons unite. We rarely speak of associates in crime or wrong, using confederates or accomplices instead. Companion gives itself with equal readiness to the good or evil sense, as also does comrade. One may be a companion in travel who would not readily become an associate at home. A lady advertises for a companion; she would not advertise for an associate. Peer implies equality rather than companionship; as, a jury of his peers. Comrade expresses more fellowship and good feeling than companion. Fellow has almost gone out of use in this connection, except in an inferior or patronizing sense. Consort is a word of equality and dignity, as applied especially to the marriage relation. Compare ACCESSORY; ACQUAINTANCE; FRIENDSHIP.
These were the associates of the leader in the enterprise.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for associate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- другар, партньор, общувам, коле́га, съединявам се, свързвам се, присъединявам се, партньо́р, член-кореспондентBulgarian
- associat, associarCatalan, Valencian
- asociado, asociar, relacionarSpanish
- seuralainen, assosioida, kollega, kumppani, ystävystyä, ulkojäsen, liittää, järjestäytyä, partneri, olla jonkun kanssa, yhdistää, työtoveri, varajäsen, apulais-, vara-, ulko-, viettää aikaa, liittoutua, kaveri, liittyä, yhdistyä, liikekumppani, seurustella, toveri, lisä-Finnish
- ընկերակցիլ, շփվել, միավորվելArmenian
- 連想, 仲間, 同僚, 準, 付き合う, 結合, [[提携]][[者]], [[準]][[会員]], 交際, 会友, 提携, 副Japanese
- 연합하다, 패, 교제하다, 준, 연상, [[제휴]][[자]], 연합, 연상하다, 조합원, 제휴하다, 친구, 상기, 준회원, 참가, 동료, 결합, 한패Korean
- uru, whakahoaMāori
- associëren, omgaanDutch
- kolega, współpracownik, wspólnikPolish
- collavuratur, collavuraturaRomansh
- coleg, asociat, partener, tovarăș, camaradRomanian
- колле́га, партнёр, напа́рник, присоединяться, напа́рница, компаньо́н, партнёрша, соединяться, член-корреспонде́нт, связанный, това́рищRussian
- förknippa, associeraSwedish
Get even more translations for associate »
Find a translation for the associate synonym in other languages:
Select another language: