discourse, talk about, discuss(verb)
to consider or examine in speech or writing
"The author talks about the different aspects of this question"; "The class discussed Dante's `Inferno'"
hash out, discuss, talk over(verb)
speak with others about (something); talk (something) over in detail; have a discussion
"We discussed our household budget"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To reason is to examine by means of the reason, to prove by reasoning, or to influence or seek to influence others by reasoning or reasons. Persons may contend either from mere ill will or self-interest, or from the highest motives; "That ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered to the saints," Jude 3. To argue (Latin arguo, show) is to make a matter clear by reasoning; to discuss (Latin dis, apart, and quatio, shake) is, etymologically, to shake it apart for examination and analysis. Demonstrate strictly applies to mathematical or exact reasoning; prove may be used in the same sense, but is often applied to reasoning upon matters of fact by what is called probable evidence, which can give only moral and not absolute or mathematical certainty. To demonstrate is to force the mind to a conclusion by irresistible reasoning; to prove is rather to establish a fact by evidence; as, to prove one innocent or guilty. That which has been either demonstrated or proved so as to secure general acceptance is said to be established. Reason is a neutral word, not, like argue, debate, discuss, etc., naturally or necessarily implying contest. We reason about a matter by bringing up all that reason can give us on any side. A dispute may be personal, fractious, and petty; a debate is formal and orderly; if otherwise, it becomes a mere wrangle.
We reason with a person about a subject, for or against an opinion; we reason a person into or out of a course of action; or we may reason down an opponent or opposition; one reasons from a cause to an effect.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for discuss
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- разисквам, обсъждамBulgarian
- discutir, debatreCatalan, Valencian
- diskutieren, debattieren, erörtern, besprechenGerman
- diskuti, priparoliEsperanto
- discutir, conversarSpanish
- kiistellä, väitellä, keskustellaFinnish
- discuter, débattre, s'entretenir surFrench
- विचार-विमर्श करना, चर्चा करना, वाद - विवाद करना, बहस करनाHindi
- 議論, 論ずるJapanese
- beschwätzen, diskutéieren, bespriechenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- wāwau, matapaki, rūnangaMāori
- ചര്ച്ച ചെയ്യുകMalayalam
- debatteren, bespreken, discussiëren, bepraten, overleggen, bediscussiërenDutch
- обсуждать, дискутировать, обсудитьRussian
- diskutirati, razpravljatiSlovene
- дискутувати, обговорюватиUkrainian
- 討論, thảo luậnVietnamese
Get even more translations for discuss »
Find a translation for the discuss synonym in other languages:
Select another language: