delay, hold, time lag, postponement, wait(noun)
time during which some action is awaited
"instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
clutch, grip, storage area, delay, keep, holdup, detainment, deferral, handle, hold, appreciation, handgrip, wait, cargo area, detention, postponement, waiting, custody, clasp, cargo deck, clench, clutches, grasp, time lag, deferment, cargo hold
the act of waiting (remaining inactive in one place while expecting something)
"the wait was an ordeal for him"
stay in one place and anticipate or expect something
"I had to wait on line for an hour to get the tickets"
wait, hold off, hold back(verb)
wait before acting
"the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
expect, look, await, wait(verb)
look forward to the probable occurrence of
"We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
count, await, search, appear, depend, hold back, seem, carry, hold off, front, reckon, look, gestate, wait, bet, attend, require, anticipate, waitress, take care, have a bun in the oven, face, ask, calculate, expect, bear, see
serve as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant
"I'm waiting on tables at Maxim's"
wait(verb)Hautboys, or oboes, played by town musicians.
hold ones breath
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To abide is to remain continuously without limit of time unless expressed by the context: "to-day I must abide at thy house," Luke xix, 5; "a settled place for thee to abide in forever," 1 Kings viii, 13; "Abide with me! fast falls the eventide,"
LyteHymn. Lodge, sojourn, stay, tarry, and wait always imply a limited time; lodge, to pass the night; sojourn, to remain temporarily; live, dwell, reside, to have a permanent home. Stop, in the sense of stay or sojourn, is colloquial, and not in approved use. Compare ENDURE; REST.
Abide in a place, for a time, with a person, by a statement.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for wait
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يَنْتَظِرُ, اِنْتَظَرَArabic
- ждаць, чакаць, пачакацьBelarusian
- чакам, обслужвамBulgarian
- অপেক্ষা করাBengali
- esperar-se, esperarCatalan, Valencian
- čekat, obsluhovatCzech
- bedienen, wartenGerman
- περιμένω, σερβίρωGreek
- aguardar, espera, retraso, esperarSpanish
- وایسادن, صبر کردن, انتظار داشتن, منتظر شدنPersian
- odottaa, odotus, tarjoillaFinnish
- faire le service, attente, servir, attendreFrench
- agardar, esperarGalician
- המתין, חיכהHebrew
- इंतज़ार करनाHindi
- սպասել, սպասարկելArmenian
- attendere, attesa, servire a tavola, aspettareItalian
- ウエイターをする, ウエイトレスをする, 待ち, 待つJapanese
- күту, тосуKazakh
- រងចាំ, ចាំKhmer
- 시중들다, 서비스하다, 대기하다, 기다림, 기다리다Korean
- exspecto, expectatio, expectoLatin
- waardenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- gaidīt, apkalpotLatvian
- чека, исчекувње, служи, чекањеMacedonian
- afwachten, bedienen, wachtenDutch
- ventaNorwegian Nynorsk
- aguardar, servir, espera, esperarPortuguese
- aștepta, servi masa, așteptareRomanian
- обслуживать, подождать, ждать, обслужить, ожидать, ожида́ниеRussian
- vuorditNorthern Sami
- чекати, čekatiSerbo-Croatian
- bida, väntaSwedish
- мунтазир шуданTajik
- ждати, чекатиUkrainian
- انتظار کرناUrdu
- đợi, chờVietnamese
- stebedön, bötönVolapük
- ratinde, rawårderWalloon
Get even more translations for wait »
Find a translation for the wait synonym in other languages:
Select another language: