appreciation, grasp, hold(noun)
understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or magnitude of something
"he has a good grasp of accounting practices"
clutch, compass, storage area, delay, time lag, detainment, range, keep, reach, grip, perceptiveness, handle, hold, appreciation, handgrip, taste, wait, cargo area, detention, postponement, custody, admiration, clasp, cargo deck, clench, clutches, grasp, discernment, cargo hold
compass, range, reach, grasp(noun)
the limit of capability
"within the compass of education"
clutch, compass, chain, appreciation, clench, orbit, reach, range of mountains, ambit, clutches, hold, range of a function, range, image, kitchen range, stretch, chain of mountains, kitchen stove, scope, clasp, reaching, mountain chain, grip, grasp, cooking stove, stove, mountain range
an intellectual hold or understanding
"a good grip on French history"; "they kept a firm grip on the two top priorities"; "he was in the grip of a powerful emotion"; "a terrible power had her in its grasp"
clutch, compass, traction, bag, clench, bobby pin, range, travelling bag, reach, grip, handle, hold, appreciation, handgrip, adhesive friction, hairgrip, clasp, traveling bag, clutches, grasp, suitcase
clasp, clench, clutch, clutches, grasp, grip, hold(verb)
the act of grasping
"he released his clasp on my arm"; "he has a strong grip for an old man"; "she kept a firm hold on the railing"
compass, bobby pin, detainment, batch, traveling bag, range, clutches, custody, reach, postponement, suitcase, clench, keep, clutch bag, time lag, grasp, clutch pedal, detention, handgrip, hairgrip, clasp, hold, clutch, appreciation, storage area, cargo area, grip, traction, handle, travelling bag, cargo deck, wait, clinch, cargo hold, adhesive friction, delay, bag
grasp, hold on(verb)
grok, get the picture, comprehend, savvy, dig, grasp, compass, apprehend(verb)
get the meaning of something
"Do you comprehend the meaning of this letter?"
quail at, compass, delve, embrace, toil, grind, dig, nail, drudge, moil, encompass, dig up, arrest, jab, poke, cut into, nab, collar, grasp, prod, travail, labour, get the picture, hollow, stab, apprehend, cop, hold on, comprehend, turn over, excavate, pick up, perceive, cover, savvy, labor, grok, circumnavigate, dig out
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A person may obtain a situation by the intercession of friends, he procures a dinner by paying for it. Attain is a lofty word, pointing to some high or desirable result; a man attains the mountain summit, he attains honor or learning as the result of strenuous and earnest labor. Even that usage of attain which has been thought to refer to mere progress of time carries the thought of a result desired; as, to attain to old age; the man desires to live to a good old age; we should not speak of his attaining his dotage. One may attain an object that will prove not worth his labor, but what he achieves is in itself great and splendid; as, the Greeks at Marathon achieved a glorious victory. Compare DO; GET; REACH.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for grasp
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قبضة, يفهم، يمسك، يقبArabic
- comprendreCatalan, Valencian
- uchopení, porozumění, stisknout, sevření, uchopit, pochopitCzech
- gribe, begribeDanish
- erfassen, greifen, verstehen, Griff, begreifen, VerständnisGerman
- asimiento, agarrar, asir, comprensión, comprenderSpanish
- käsillä, puristaa, tajuta, ote, käsitys, taju, tarttua, käsissä, käsittää, ymmärrysFinnish
- agripper, saisir, comprendreFrench
- glacadhScottish Gaelic
- תפיסה, הבנה, לפיתהHebrew
- átérez, felfogHungarian
- comprendere, stretta, comprensione, avvinghiarsi, agguantare, afferrare, capire, presa, padronanza, avvinghiareItalian
- sumo, teneoLatin
- begrijpen, begrip, grijpen, vastpakken, snappen, gripDutch
- uchwyt, pojęcie, trzymać, chwytać, rozumienie, zrozumienie, rozumieć, pojmowaćPolish
- agarrar, compreensão, entender, compreender, alcancePortuguese
- понимать, понять, хватать, схватывать, схватитьRussian
- fatta, greppa, begripa, begrepp, förståelse, räckhåll, grepp, gripaSwedish
- గ్రహించు, ఆకళింపు చేసుకొను, పట్టుకొనుTelugu
Get even more translations for grasp »
Find a translation for the grasp synonym in other languages:
Select another language: