privation, want, deprivation, neediness(noun)
a state of extreme poverty
lack, deficiency, want(noun)
the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable
"there is a serious lack of insight into the problem"; "water is the critical deficiency in desert regions"; "for want of a nail the shoe was lost"
anything that is necessary but lacking
"he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs"; "I tried to supply his wants"
wish, wishing, want(verb)
a specific feeling of desire
"he got his wish"; "he was above all wishing and desire"
feel or have a desire for; want strongly
"I want to go home now"; "I want my own room"
want, need, require(verb)
have need of
"This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
hunt or look for; want for a particular reason
"Your former neighbor is wanted by the FBI"; "Uncle Sam wants you"
wish or demand the presence of
"I want you here at noon!"
be without, lack; be deficient in
"want courtesy"; "want the strength to go on living"; "flood victims wanting food and shelter"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Necessity is the quality of being necessary, or the quality of that which can not but be, become, or be true, or be accepted as true. Need and want always imply a lack; necessity may be used in this sense, but in the higher philosophical sense necessity simply denotes the exclusion of any alternative either in thought or fact; righteousness is a necessity (not a need) of the divine nature. Need suggests the possibility of supplying the deficiency which want expresses; to speak of a person's want of decision merely points out a weakness in his character; to say that he has need of decision implies that he can exercise or attain it. As applied to a deficiency, necessity is more imperative than need; a weary person is in need of rest; when rest becomes a necessity he has no choice but to stop work. An essential is something, as a quality, or element, that belongs to the essence of something else so as to be inseparable from it in its normal condition, or in any complete idea or statement of it. Compare NECESSARY; PREDESTINATION.
compulsion, destiny, emergency, essential, exigency, extremity, fatality, fate, indispensability, indispensableness, necessity, need, requirement, requisite, sine qua non, unavoidableness, urgency
The necessity of surrender; a necessity for action; this is a necessity to me.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Translations for want
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أراد, رغبArabic
- жада́ць, хаце́ць, пажада́ць, захаце́цьBelarusian
- и́скам, жела́яBulgarian
- volerCatalan, Valencian
- хотѣтиOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- ville, kræveDanish
- Mangel, Not, wollenGerman
- afán, desear, querer, faltaSpanish
- tahtma, soovimaEstonian
- nahi izanBasque
- تنگدستی, نیاز, آرزو, خواستن, خواست, بینواییPersian
- köyhyys, haluta, puute, tahtoaFinnish
- vouloir, pauvreté, besoin, misère, manque, avoir envieFrench
- is mian le, díothachtIrish
- easbhaidh, gainne, cion, iarr, gainneadScottish Gaelic
- պակաս, ուզել, ուզենալ, կարիքArmenian
- ingin, mau, hendakIndonesian
- volar, dezirarIdo
- povertà, volere, miseria, mancanzaItalian
- たい, 欲する, 望む, 欲しい, たがるJapanese
- келу, тілеуKazakh
- ចង់, ចង់បានKhmer
- 원하다, 바라다, 빌다, 싶다Korean
- viyan, خواستن, xwestinKurdish
- келүү, қалау, каалооKyrgyz
- desidero, volo, careoLatin
- ຢາກ, ຕ້ອງການ, ເອົາLao
- gribēt, vēlētiesLatvian
- hendak, mahu, inginMalay
- အလို, လိုBurmese
- tekort, willenDutch
- ønske, mangel, ville, behovNorwegian
- chcieć, życzyćPolish
- desejar, querer, afãPortuguese
- vuler, vulair, ler, leir, vuleirRomansh
- vrea, lipsăRomanian
- захоте́ть, нищета, бедность, отсутствие, пожела́ть, желание, недостаток, нужда, жела́ть, потребность, хоте́тьRussian
- bòliri, bòlliri, chèrrere, bolliSardinian
- hteti, хтети, htjeti, хтјетиSerbo-Croatian
- අඩුව පවතිනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- batlaSouthern Sotho
- brist, viljaSwedish
- కోరిక, కోరుకొను, వాంఛించు, వాంఛTelugu
- อยาก, เอา, ต้องการThai
- gereklemek, islemekTurkmen
- istek, istemekTurkish
- бажа́ти, хоті́тиUkrainian
- istamoq, xohlamoqUzbek
- muốn, cầnVietnamese
Get even more translations for want »
Find a translation for the want synonym in other languages:
Select another language: